Stop by and indulge in a little history of what used to be the largest natural gas field in the world.
The Stevens County Gas & Historical Museum was dedicated on May 16, 1961. It was established as a memento of the Hugoton Gas Field and the progressive development of Stevens County.
Currently, the gas well, drilled in 1945, is still producing. The 1945 well equipment is on display at the site of the well.
The main museum building houses displays of early 1900 furnishings including a chapel, dining room, parlor, kitchen, and a sewing room. Also, in the main buildings displays of Indian artifacts, farming tools, a printing and western shop, and art room bring back life in the days of long ago.
Completely restored buildings on the half-block museum complex include the Santa Fe Hugoton Train Depot, an 1887 school house, an 1887 home (one of the oldest homes in Hugoton), and an early day grocery store and barber shop. There’s a Professional Building (a tribute to Hugoton’s past judges and lawyers), the first jail house in Hugoton, and a 1905 church (the second church built in Hugoton). The Agricultural Building, completed in 1995, offers extensive displays of farm equipment & implements.